Curry Pork + Pineapple Kabobs- The perfect combination of savory and sweet! You can whip up these nutritious skewers of juicy curry marinated pork, red and green bell peppers, onions and sweet juicy pineapple in just a few minutes. Fire up the BBQ or cook them indoors on the stove-top or in the oven.
Kabobs! They are the quintessential summer BBQ food. I mean why not? they are SO easy to make plus the whole meal comes together on one skewer!
Have you ever tasted grilled pineapple? oh my! magic happens when pineapple hits the BBQ, it takes on a slightly smokey and caramelized flavor. Pair that up with pork that has been marinated in a mixture of Greek yogurt, curry powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, turmeric , coriander and lime and you’ve got a sweet and savory party happening.
Finish everything off by garnishing the kabobs with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and chopped peanuts.
Don’t have a BBQ? Or it’s too darn hot to go outside to BBQ? No worries…these kabobs can also be made indoors! In a grill pan on the stove-top or broiled in the oven. (directions in the recipe below)
Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, zoodles or your favorite chopped salad greens. Try tucking them into a tortilla and making a wrap (they would be great with some peanut sauce). Versatile, easy, sweet & savory!
- ¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1¼ lb. pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups cubed pineapple (about ½ of a fresh pineapple)*
- 1 each red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp crushed peanuts (optional garnish)
- Fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- 1 lime, sliced (optional garnish)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients (yogurt, curry powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, turmeric, lime, lime zest, coriander and salt) Stir until well combined.
- In a gallon size ziplock/resealable plastic bag (or large shallow bowl) pour marinade over pork cubes, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour ( up to 6 hours).
- If using wooden skewers soak in water for at least 30 mins. (you will need 12)
- Seed and trim the bell peppers, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Peel and chop the onion into similar sized pieces.
- Preheat the BBQ grill or grill pan to medium. (if using oven to cook see directions in the notes section below).
- Thread 12 skewers with alternating pieces of onion, bell pepper (red and green), pineapple, and pork until all the pieces are used. Optional step- spray each skewer lightly with cooking spray.
- Grill skewers 3-4 mins on each side until pork is cooked through (approx.12-16 min.total) being careful not to overcook (pork will continue to cook slightly once removed from the grill). Garnish cooked skewers with fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts and a squeeze of lime if desired.
Adjust the oven rack so that the top of the skewers will be 5-6 inches from the broiler. Place the skewers under the broiler and cook until the edges begin to brown ( about 4-5 min.). Turn the skewers over and return to the oven for an additional f4-5 minutes (or until the skewers are evenly browned on all sides). Be careful not to overcook. Pork will continue to cook once you remove it from the oven