A twist on the traditional Korean Bibimbap dish. Bibimbap literally means “mixed rice” and typically is a bowl of warm rice topped with seasoned sautéed vegetables , chili pepper paste, a fried or raw egg and usually sliced beef. This version however keeps things vegetarian and substitutes sliced avocado for the beef.
Rice bowls and I get along. I love that it’s possible to top a bowl of rice with just about anything and create a simple, flavorful meal. (Same with open face sandwiches…you can top a toasted piece of bread with whatever you have on hand and make a meal like this one).
Today’s rice bowl is a California-style version of the traditional Korean Bibimbap dish. “California-style” because the rice is topped with sliced avocado, sautéed bell peppers and kale. “Bibimbap-style” because all those wonderful veggies get topped with an egg and a drizzle of sesame/soy sauce and a hint (or more if you prefer) of Sriracha chili sauce.
A quick, healthy meal option that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
* recipe adapted from Sunset Fast & Fresh (California -Style Bibimbap)
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch 14 oz. kale or spinach, trimmed
- 1 bell pepper any color, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- toasted sesame seeds for topping
- Sriracha chili sauce
- Add 2 cups water and rice to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed (approx. 20 min.)
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add kale, bell pepper, garlic and salt and cook until kale is wilted (about 3-5 min.).
- Divide rice among 4 bowls and top with the vegetables and sliced avocado.
- Mix sesame oil and soy sauce , set aside. Return skillet to heat and fry eggs until done the way you like. Top each bowl with an egg and a drizzle of sesame/soy sauce. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and a dash (or desired amount) of Sriracha chili sauce.