Sweet Potato Tots with Rosemary and Sea Salt- Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. These sweet potato tots are oven baked (not fried) making them the perfect healthy snack or side dish. Only 3 ingredients and a few minutes and you can be popping one of these babies right in your mouth. (or two…or three…but don’t worry they are packed with all kinds of superfood, fiber rich goodness) go ahead and indulge guilt-free! (Paleo, Vegan, Whole 30, Gluten-Free, Clean Eating)
Sweet potatoes and I are friends…good friends! They pretty much turn up in something I’m making every week ( like in Black Bean Enchiladas, in African Peanut Soup. in a Frittata, as a spicy Chipotle salad, and even Mashed with Fall Quinoa ) Chock full of nutrients like Vitamin A (Beta Carotene) Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber they have been touted to be one of the worlds healthiest foods.
The cool thing about sweet potatoes is they have all that fabulous nutritional stuff going on AND they taste amazing! Kids even love them, especially when they are being served as “tots”.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tots:
1. Making these sweet potato tots couldn’t be any easier! You’ll start by peeling the sweet potatoes and par boiling them. Boil for about 12-15 min. until the potatoes are soft enough to be able to pierce with a fork, but still slightly firm. If your sweet potatoes are on the smaller side you may need to adjust the cooking time ( 9-11 min.) you still want to feel some firmness to the potato.
2. After they are cooked, cool the potatoes and shred them on a box grater. Sprinkle with a little salt. You can add any additional spices you like…if you want a little kick try adding a little chili powder or cayenne.
3. Form the sweet potato mixture into “tots” . Mine look like little loaves of bread but you can also roll into more of a round shape if you prefer.
4. Place the tots on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 min. (turning half way through). If you want an extra crispy outside you can broil the tots for the last few minutes of cooking. Sprinkle with coarsely ground sea salt and fresh rosemary.
Dip them in ketchup or enjoy them all on their own. Oh! I almost forgot! skip the chips..these make great game-day treats as well!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt for garnish
- ketchup for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper .
- Bring water to a boil in a medium size pot. Peel sweet potatoes and cook for approx. 12-15 min. (you want potatoes to be par boiled, soft enough to piece with a fork but still slightly firm). Drain and cool.
- Once potatoes are cool to touch, grate on a box grater. Sprinkle with salt.
- Form into "tots" approx. 1 inch in size.
- Place on lined baking sheet. Drizzle (or spray) tots with olive oil. Cook 30 min., turning tots half way through cooking.
- Sprinkle with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Serve immediately, with ketchup for dipping (optional).