Teriyaki Salmon Bowl
Teriyaki Salmon Bowl is so simple to put together. Heart healthy salmon (or sub chicken) gets smothered in homemade teriyaki sauce and is served over jasmine rice with sautéed spinach, carrots, avocado slices and edamame. A few strips of nori and a sprinkle of sesame seeds give it that extra punch of Asian flavor.
Servings: 2 bowls
For the Salmon
- 2 salmon fillets approx. 4-6 oz. each preferably wild Alaskan king salmon
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce reduced sodium
- 2 Tbsp mirin sweet cooking rice vinegar found in the Asian section of the supermarket (or dry sherry)
- 2 Tbsp sake or sherry
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
For the bowl
- 1 cups cooked rice white or brown Jasmine
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or 1 cup frozen, thawed)
- ½ avocado sliced
- ¼ cup edamame shelled (fresh or frozen(thawed))
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds white or black
- 1 sheet Nori or roasted seaweed snack cut into thin slices about 1 inch long and 1/8 inch wide.
- 1 green onion sliced (white and green parts)
Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
In a small pan over medium heat combine soy sauce, mirin, sake and honey. While mixture is heating, whisk together in a separate small bowl cornstarch and water. Add cornstarch mixture to soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to stir frequently until teriyaki reaches desired thickness (about 2-3 min.)
Place salmon fillets (skin side down) on prepared baking sheet, brush ( or spoon) with teriyaki sauce . Reserving any unused teriyaki sauce to drizzle over finished bowl. Place salmon in oven and cook for approx. 12- 15 min. until pink . The salmon will continue to cook for a few minutes once removed from the oven so take this into account when cooking. Allow to cool for a few minutes . Remove and discard the skin.
While salmon is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil (or water) and cook spinach until it wilts (approx. 2-3 min.) season with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble bowls, heat up cooked rice and divide between bowls. Top with salmon, spinach, carrot, edamame, avocado, sesame seeds, green onions and Nori strips. Drizzle any remaining teriyaki sauce over bowl if desired.
* Nutritional Info- is for 1 bowl (5 oz. salmon fillet) w/o teriyaki
** Nutritional Info for Teriyaki ( I'm including separately so you can use an amount appropriate for your sodium/sugar requirements) Total recipe(not per serving) = Calories 160.9 / Sodium 1331 mg / Carbs 26.1 g / Sugar 21.6 g / Protein 2.2 g
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.3g | Protein: 35.4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 78.3mg | Sodium: 136.2mg | Fiber: 5.5g | Sugar: 1.49g