Crockpot Indian Butter Chickpeas
Crockpot Indian Butter Chickpeas + Tofu - A lightened up Vegetarian/ Vegan version of classic Indian Butter Chicken. Can be made in the crockpot or on the stovetop (both recipes included) for an easy weeknight dinner.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 package extra-firm tofu 12-14 oz.
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp curry
- 1 Tbsp garam masala found in most grocery store's spice section
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne powder more or less to taste
- ½ tsp ground ginger or 1"inch knob fresh ginger, minced
- 3-4 drops liquid smoke found in most grocery stores- sometimes in the BBQ sauce area
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- salt to taste
- cilantro chopped ( for garnish)
- Serve over jasmine or basmati rice or cauliflower rice *
Remove tofu from package and rinse. Wrap tofu in paper towels and place on a plate or cutting board. Place something heavy on top of the tofu to allow the water to be pressed out. ( I usually place a cutting board on top of tofu and a couple of cans of soup/beans). Let drain approx. 15 min.
Line a large skillet with 1 Tbsp water ( or olive oil). Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is starting to brown. ( approx. 5 min.)
While onions are cooking , In a 4 qt (or larger) slow-cooker whisk in coconut milk, tomato paste, curry, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, ginger and liquid smoke..
Cut pressed tofu into cubes and add to crockpot. Drain and rinse garbanzo beans, add to crockpot. Add cooked onions/garlic. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.
* You can purchase cauliflower rice in the fresh or frozen section of many grocery stores. To make you own check out this post Crockpot Indian Butter Chicken ( directions in recipe)
For Stove-top version
In a large sauce pan/ dutch oven over medium heat, sautee onions and garlic until onions become translucent (about 5 min.) add spices( curry, garam masala, cayenne, cumin, ginger and liquid smoke) cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
Stir in coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 min. Add garbanzo beans and tofu and mix with sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until sauce thickens (approx. 10 min)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.4g | Protein: 15.2g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 494mg | Fiber: 6.3g | Sugar: 4.4g