Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp (Tom Kha Goong)
Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp ( Tom Kha Soup) -Making Thai soup at home is actually really easy! All the classic flavors that make Thai soup so delicious like coconut milk, lemongrass and ginger in an easy to make (and quick) recipe. You should be able to find all the ingredients at your local grocery store.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time20 minutes mins
Total Time30 minutes mins
Course: Main, Soup
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass cut in half lengthwise (or 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste)
- 1-2 tsp red curry paste according to taste
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce * or sub 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce + 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 can 15oz. light coconut milk
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper cut into strips (or diced)
- 10-12 medium shrimp approx.. ½ lb. peeled and deveined
- 1-2 Tbsp lime juice according to taste
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Jasmine rice cooked (optional)
- sriracha sauce optional- to taste
In a large pot or Dutch oven add broth, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste and fish sauce and simmer for about 10 mins.
Add coconut milk, mushrooms and red bell peppers. Continue to cook stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft (about 5 min.). Add shrimp, continue to cook until shrimp are fully cooked (about 5 min.). Remove from heat, remove lemongrass stalks and stir in lime juice. Stir in cilantro, reserving a small amount for garnish.
Can be served as a soup or over jasmine rice for a heartier meal option.
* you should be able to find fish sauce at well stocked grocery stores (in the Asian section). If it's not available you can sub 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce + 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce.