Skillet Margherita Polenta Pizza
Skillet Margherita Polenta Pizza – a quick easy twist to the classic Italian Margherita pizza. It’s vegetarian, gluten-free, clean eating, and with easy substitution can also be made vegan….whoa! o.k. lets just say this pizza is the perfect choice for whatever your preferred style of eating might be. (and don't forget healthy...it's that too!)
Servings: 4 -6 slices
- 1 cup fine polenta
- ½ cup all-purpose flour use GF flour for GF option
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg omit for Vegan option - add an additional 1 Tbsp of almond milk
- ⅔ cup milk use almond milk for Vegan option
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese use Vegan parm cheese for Vegan option
- ½ -1 tsp dried red chili flakes more or less to taste
- ½ cup marinara sauce divided (or your favorite pizza/tomato sauce)
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced or cut into chunks (omit for Vegan- sub 1/4 cup black olives)
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 375F
In a large bowl mix together the polenta, flour, salt.and baking powder. Add egg and milk, thoroughly combining to form a thick batter. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chili flakes.
Heat an 8 inch (for deep dish style) or 10-inch cast iron skillet (or oven- proof fry pan) over medium heat. Add a small amount of olive oil and swirl to cover pan. Pour (or spoon) in batter and spread evenly. Cook until base is set (approx. 3-4 min.) and top is soft set.
Spread a layer marinara sauce over top of pizza (reserve any sauce for dipping crust) and add mozzarella, and tomato slices.
Place pan in the oven and cook until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned (approx. 10-12 min.) Switch oven to broil and broil until cheese begins to bubble and brown (about 3-4 min.) Remove from oven.
Sprinkle basil over the top and serve. Add fresh cracked pepper if desired. Heat any remaining marinara sauce to use as a dip for crust.