Skillet Mu Shu Pork
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb. boneless pork loin trimmed
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce low-sodium
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil or oil of your choice
- ¼ cup sliced green onions divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 14 oz. bag shredded coleslaw mix (found in the bagged lettuce section of the grocery store) or you can shred your own cabbage and carrots use 3 cups shredded cabbage plus 1 cup shredded carrots.
- Optional additional items for serving: cabbage/lettuce leave to serve as “cups” flour tortillas to serve as tacos, or serve over white/brown rice. Plum sauce or hoisin if serving as lettuce cups or tacos. (spread a light layer of plum sauce/hoisin on lettuce cups or tortilla before adding mu shu pork mixture for serving). Additional green onion, sesame seeds, plum/hoisin sauce, sliced peanuts or sriracha according to taste.
Cut pork crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, corn starch and red pepper flakes. Add sliced pork and let marinate for at least 10 min.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil. Add onions (reserving some for garnish) and garlic. Sauté until fragrant (approx.1 min.) Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms become tender and lightly browned (approx. 4-5 min.) Add pork (including marinade) and continue to cook until pork is cooked through (approx. 3-4 min.). Add coleslaw mixture and continue to cook for an additional 1 min. Cabbage will still have some crunch, if you prefer you can cook longer.
Mu Shu Pork can be served many ways. 1) Over white/brown rice. 2) In lettuce/cabbage “cups”- use 4-8 lettuce/cabbage leaves, spread plum/hoisin sauce (optional) in each cup and add Mu Shu Pork mixture. 3) As soft tacos- use 4 flour tortillas, spread plum/hoisin sauce on tortilla. Add Mu Shu mixture to each tortilla and fold up taco style. 4) Just as is- my favorite…scoop Mu Shu Pork out of the pan and serve in bowls garnish with additional green onions/ plum/hoisin sauce/sliced peanuts/sesame seeds/Sriracha etc.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.2g | Protein: 34.2g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7.2g | Cholesterol: 89.7mg | Sodium: 444.3mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sugar: 0.9g