Wow! their wonderful sweet aroma was the first thing I experienced when I walked into the produce aisle. It’s like the first smell of summer, and the promise of sunny warm days just ahead. Nectarines are one of my favorites, and I look forward their arrival.
Oh course, this also signals flip flops, shorts, and eeks! how did my legs get this white!
The sun’s coming up earlier, and setting later, it’s the perfect time to start transitioning to lighter, healthy meals.
Grilling nectarines is really easy. If you have never tried preparing nectarines this way you are in for a TREAT!
Grilling the nectarines caramelizes the natural sugars and creates a sweet smokey flavor that is a perfect warm gooey compliment to creamy goat cheese and spicy arugula. Top all of it off with a Honey Fig vinaigrette and you’ll be ready for the long days of summer.
This is a healthy, easy to prepare salad, that you can whip together in about 20 min.
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 small nectarines (ripe, but still firm)
- 2 oz. chevre cheese (goat cheese)
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds (or pistachios)
- garnish with blueberries or strawberries if desired
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fig spread ( such as Dalmatia, usually found in the cheese section of the grocery store)
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat grill or grill-pan to medium high.
- Slice nectarines in ½ inch slices. Brush each slice with olive oil. Grill the nectarines for 2-3 min. per side ( until you can see grill marks). Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the dressing.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add fig spread. Microwave for approx 10 seconds until the spread is liquefied. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and lemon juice to the fig mixture. Whisk until completely mixed.
- Create a bed of arugula and spinach mixture on desired number of plates. Top with grilled nectarines, chevre ( cut or spoon into quarter size pieces), almond slices (or pistachios). Drizzle with vinaigrette. Garnish with a few blueberries or strawberry slices if desired.