Honey Roasted Carrots -This is one of the easiest, most versatile side dishes EVER! Pairs well with chicken, turkey, ham, or steak. Want to keep things vegetarian? Try adding a pinch of chipotle seasoning before roasting and serve on crostini with ricotta cheese. Or try, serving over a bed of quinoa with arugula and feta. The possibilities are endless!
Colorful, flavorful, healthy ..and simple!
The benefits of carrots are numerous. They are high in Beta Carotene (Vitamin A) which has been shown to help reduce the risk of certain cancers (like breast, lung, and colon), help improve vision, slow down the aging process, and promote healthier skin. That’s a lot of goodness packed into these vibrant veggies.
Roasting veggies requires only a few minutes of hands –on time to wash and peel the carrots and give them a light coating of olive oil and honey. The sweet caramelized goodness happens while they are slow roasting in the oven. I like to roast them for about 30-40 min. until the insides are cooked but the carrots still have a slight crunch to them.
1. A squeeze of lime and pinch of grated ginger before roasting to make Honey, Ginger, Lime Roasted Carrots
2. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds before serving for Honey Sesame Roasted Carrots
3. A sprinkle of garlic powder or fresh grated garlic for Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots
4. A pinch of chipotle spices before roasting for Honey Chipotle Carrots
5. or cumin....or chili powder....or curry...or??? the options are endless
Looking for more Healthy Holiday Side Dishes?
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 2 bunches fresh carrots approx. 12 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Wash and peel carrots. cut green carrot tops to 2 inches .(You may need to cut the larger carrots in half lengthwise so they cook evenly with smaller carrots).
- Combine olive oil and honey in a small bowl. Coat carrots with honey mixture and place in a single layer on baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Cook for approx. 35-40 min. (until carrots are cooked and browned around the edges).
- Serve whole or cut into 1 inch pieces.