This salad came to be on a really hot day last summer. I had been to the local blueberry farm and picked a whole bunch of blueberries ( my first time, very cool!) I was looking for a healthy light option to incorporate some of the berries into a salad that could be a complete meal. Something light, something nutritious.
Ta da! here it is…now my go-to salad. A combination of nutritional powerhouses; sweet blueberries, kale, spinach, quinoa, edamame and more. Dressed with a light and tasty lemon vinagrette.
- 3 cups chopped Kale, ribs removed and "massaged" (instructions below)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- ⅔ cup fresh blueberries
- ⅔ cup edamame, frozen shelled, thawed
- ⅔ cup garbanzo beans
- ½ cup carrots, grated or shredded
- ½ cup cherry or plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup dried cranberries ( Craisins)
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or 2 packets Truvia)
- De-stem the kale and tear or chop into bite size pieces. Place the kale, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon sea salt, into a large mixing bowl. "Massage" the kale ( with your fingertips) for approx. 3-5 min. This process helps to tenderize the kale, making it softer and sweeter.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss to mix.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to mason or covered glass jar. Shake to mix and emulsify the ingredients. ( or whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until mixed thoroughly).
- Dress the salad & enjoy this super healthy, superfoods salad.
Nutritional Information (calculated from Spark People)
Salad (including olive oil and lemon used to massage kale / but without dressing) (per serving=1/4 of recipe)
Total Fat 10.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.6 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 219.0 mg
Potassium 200.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 11.2 g
Dressing (per serving = 1/4 recipe)
Total Fat 21.0 g
Saturated Fat 3.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 15.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 0.3 mg
Potassium 4.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 0.1 g