Mushroom Stroganoff- A quick and easy lightened -up vegetarian version of classic Stroganoff. All the creamy mushroom goodness of traditional Stroganoff but lightened up a bit. Only a little over 300 calories a serving.
This mushroom stroganoff is super easy to make!. I bought pre-sliced mushrooms from the store just to keep the prep time to a minimum. So really the only prep time was chopping the onion . From there, you’ll just need a big skillet. Sauté the onions until they are lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have softened and released most of their juices.(about 5 min.) Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the sauce thickens…and that’s it! Creamy + Light + Mushrooms+ Pasta = More please!
I’m using cremini mushrooms for this stroganoff because I think their flavor is a bit deeper and more complex than white mushrooms . I say bring it on! The more earthy mushroom flavor the better in my book! But, if you are looking for a more mild mushroom flavor you might want to consider using white button mushrooms instead.
While the mushroom stroganoff is delicious over pasta, there are so many options on how to serve it! You could serve it over rice, spoon it on top of a baked potato (or sweet potato), over quinoa or polenta, I even added in some fresh kale and topped a toasted English muffin. That’s the beauty of mushrooms, there are so darn versatile!
If you want to keep things lower carb, you could easily serve the mushroom stroganoff over zucchini noodles, or cauliflower rice.
Light + Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 9 oz package refrigerated fresh fettuccine ( or 8 oz. dry egg noodles)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions about 1 small oninon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp paprika optional
- 1 16 oz. mushrooms cremini (or white), cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or beef broth
- 1 ½ tsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce vegetarian version or sub Braggs Aminos to keep things vegetarian
- ¼ cup sour cream reduced fat (or plain Greek yogurt)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- parsley chopped (for garnish)
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat , add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned (approx. 3-4 min.) Add the garlic and paprika and continue to cook for an additional 1 min. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently for an additional 5 min. (until mushrooms have softened and released most of their liquid). Add the flour and stir to incorporated. Stir in the vegetable broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook until sauce has thickened (approx. 2-3 min).
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- >Serve mushroom stroganoff over noodles or stir noodles into mushroom mixture and plate. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmesan cheese if desired.