Welcome to One Pot Wednesday’s! Where ...yep, you guessed it! Every Wednesday we will be featuring a Simple Healthy One Pot meal idea. I mean who doesn’t love a little more free time and a little less dish washing!
On deck this week: Chicken Taco Soup. A hearty combination of chicken, black beans, corn, bell peppers and taco spices. A family friendly meal you can have on the table in less than 30 min. (and only one pot to clean after dinner!).
Talk about SIMPLE….here’s how simple this chili like soup is to whip up
- Cook the ground chicken, onion and garlic
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper and spices
- Simmer for 20-30 min.
Voila…that’s it! Your done! Top with fresh avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream or some tortilla strips. Tasty healthy dinner is now served.
One Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey or lean ground beef
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth divided
- ½ onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz.
- 1 can black beans 15 oz. rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannellini beans 15 oz. rinsed and drained (or kidney beans)
- 10 oz. corn fresh or frozen
- 1 bell pepper chopped (any color)
- 1 packet taco seasoning low sodium *
- Your choice of toppings such as fresh avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, or tortilla strips.
- Spray a Large Pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add ground chicken and ½ cup chicken broth. Cook until chicken is no longer pink (approx. 6-7 min. ). Add in garlic and onion, and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 min.
- Add remaining 2 cups of chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper, and seasonings. Simmer for 20-30 min.
- Top with your choice of fresh avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream or tortilla strips.
*If you want to make your own taco seasoning you can use: 1 Tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon paprika and ¼ teaspoon onion powder.