This is one of those versatile go-to side dishes that tastes like you spent forever in the kitchen crafting the perfect balance of sweet crunchy snap peas and toasty sesame. In reality, you can whip this up in under 5 minutes. ( but shhh..no one will have to know you didn’t slave for hours in the kitchen)
Makes a great side dish to serve with seared ahi, miso salmon, or any type of grilled meats. Make some extra and add to your favorite salads, lettuce wraps and rice bowls. Or,keep some in a refrigerator for a cool, crisp healthy afternoon snack.
Sesame sugar snap peas are so versatile, you can serve them hot, cold, or room temperature.
- 3 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Blanch the peas in boiling salted water until they are bright green in color and still crisp - approx. 1-2 min. ( salted water helps keep the beans keep their bright green color).
- Drain and plunge the beans in bowl of ice water immediately. (the ice water stops the cooking process and helps keep the beans crisp),
- Drain again, and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix beans with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds ( adjust measurement so that you are just coating the beans lightly with sesame oil, without residual oil accumulating in the bowl).