It’s a fiesta in a skillet! This easy, healthy dish combines hearty turkey meatballs, black beans, corn and tomatoes with fiery southwest spices. You’ll only need one pan and about 20 min. to whip up this Clean Eating family friendly meal. Only 320 calories per serving.
It’s times like now (dead of winter ) that I’m craving some warmth and sunshine! I want to feel the golden rays of the sun kiss my skin. I’m dreaming of being on a lounge chair, by a pool…crystal blue sky…maybe a cabana boy to bring me refreshingly cold cucumber slices to place over my eyes and an extra-large “foo-foo” cocktail with an umbrella in it. O.K…..O.K…maybe the cabana boy was a little over the top! (dang it!) So maybe I’m not on a lounge chair in the sun…but these southwest spicy flavors can warm up cold wintry days.
The meatballs get a quick searing in the pan to give them a golden brown caramelized crust. Then just simply add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, lime and southwest spices. Let it all simmer in the skillet for a few minutes and you’ll have a delicious, healthy, EASY meal.
recipe adapted from Clean Eating Magazine ( Southwest Meatballs with warm-corn black bean salsa)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast (or ground chicken)
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs and salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Form into 16 meatballs (approx. the size of golf balls).
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Cook meatballs, turning frequently, until browned on all sides (approx. 3-5 min.). Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, lime juice, cumin, coriander and paprika. Mix thoroughly and reduce heat to medium. Partially cover skillet and cook until meatballs are completely cooked through (approx. 3-5 min.). Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and serve.