Sour Cream + Chive Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes-I swear you won’t know these super fluffy Sour Cream + Chive Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes don’t even contain potatoes! That’s right…nada…zip. The addition of one special ingredient is key in giving this dish the same creamy consistency as classic mashed potatoes but this version is low carb and has only 92 calories a serving !
Game changer! The starchy texture of this one ingredient elevates these Sour Cream + Chive Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes to a whole new level .
I’m talking about Celeriac aka Celery Root. And it’s available in most grocery stores. It’s quite possibly the strangest looking vegetable in the produce department but it’s one of the tastiest secrets to making low -carb “faux” mashed potatoes.
Celeriac has a subtle celery like flavor with nutty overtones and is rich in nutrients like Vitamins C, B6, K and fiber ( which help with maintaining a healthy digestive system, strengthening the immune system and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases).
To prep the celeriac for these Sour Cream + Chive Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes start by cleaning the celeriac/celery root with a soft vegetable brush. Then place the vegetable on a cutting board and remove the base and top of the celeriac so you have a flat surface to work with. Carefully cutting down the sides to remove the skin. You can also use a potato peeler if you prefer to remove the skin. Cut the celeriac into ½ inch pieces.
Making Sour Cream + Chive Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes is super simple. Steam the celeriac cubes and cauliflower florets. Puree in a food processor or with an immersion blender add the sour cream a bit of butter, salt and pepper and top with chives. I like to reserve a little of the butter called for in this recipe and melt it just prior to serving (in the microwave) and pour on the “potatoes” just before serving.
An easy healthy side for you Thanksgiving/Holiday meals or any time of they year. You can prepare up to a day ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Heat just prior to serving and garnish with fresh chives.
Looking for more Healthy Holiday Sides?
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium celery root (also called celeriac), peeled and cut int ½ inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives.
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot, fill with water to just below the bottom of steamer basket. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and celery root pieces. Steam until vegetables are tender and easily pierced with a fork (about 12-15 minutes). Drain, reserving ¼ cup of cooking water .*
- Place cauliflower and celery root back in pot. Add butter and sour cream. Use and immersion blender to combine ingredients. Add necessary amount of reserved cooking liquid to bring to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. ** Place in serving bowl and top with fresh chives.
** Alternatively, you can place cooked cauliflower and celery root (and butter and sour cream) in a food processor instead of using an immersion blender. You could also use a regular hand mixer in place of the immersion blender.