Height of the season SWEET strawberries on a bed of spinach with avocado and feta and topped with a super easy poppy seed dressing.
Feels and looks all fancy…but it will just take you a few minutes to whip up this tasty salad. Makes a great light meal all on its own, or serve as an accompaniment to your summer BBQ favorites like chicken, burgers or steak.
There is nothing better than a sweet sun-kissed ripe strawberry plucked right off the strawberry plant! For the last couple of weeks I’ve been picking strawberries….lots and lots of strawberries! Sweet… juicy strawberries! My fingers are stained the most delicious shade of red.
No better time than the present to enjoy the best of the season strawberries in this easy summer salad.
The poppy seed dressing adds a nice dimension and is so simple to make your own. Just five ingredients and less than 2 minutes to whip up a batch. Oh course you could always use a store bought variety (Brianna’s makes a REALLY good one!) or try a strawberry vinaigrette if poppy seed is not your thing.
** poppy seed dressing recipe from Cooking Light
- 6 cups baby spring lettuce mix (or butter lettuce)
- 16 large strawberries, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 avocado, pit removed and cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cashews (or nuts of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Combine all salad ingredients and mix thoughly
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Plate salad and drizzle with dressing.