Summer Melon & Prosciutto Salad – A quick and easy summer salad, showcasing ripe sweet cantaloupe and honeydew melon, mozzarella and prosciutto. Dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and a touch of honey, this sweet-meets-savory salad can be served as a side dish, a light meal or as an antipasti platter. Perfect for your July 4th celebration, summer picnics, or anytime you want a quick and tasty summer salad option.
What do they all have in common? Simple, healthy ingredients put together to celebrate the flavors of the summer season. Summer Melon & Prosciutto is no exception! The flavors of the ripe melons, mozzarella and prosciutto dressed in a light honey lemon dressing and fresh mint pairs nicely with so many summer dishes.
Summer Melon & Prosciutto Salad Recipe Notes:
- If making this salad ahead of time, I suggest storing the dressing separately and mix with the salad just prior to serving.
- You may not need the full amount of dressing, adjust to suit your tastes.
Don’t forget the Salt and Pepper!
Although it may seem strange to some to put salt and pepper on melon, the salt really brings out the sweetness of the melon (similar to how salt brings out sweetness in chocolate) and adds to the flavor of the salad.
Mint or Basil
If you’re not a fan of mint, you can easily swap it out for fresh basil. (or use both)
Round or Square
You pick! use a melon baller to scoop the cantaloupe and honeydew into perfectly round shapes, or cut the melon into square cubes.
What Kind of Mozzarella to Use
The short answer – any kind you like. I’m using Mozzarella balls by BelGioioso called “ciliegine” , they also make a smaller version called “pearls”. You can also use fresh mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella cut into cubes or torn into bite size pieces.
Can I use other types of Melons or other fruit?
You bet! Besides cantaloupe and honeydew you could try watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, figs, apricots or peaches, all would work well with the honey lemon dressing and fresh mint.
- ½ ripe cantaloupe melon, seeded
- ½ ripe honeydew melon, seeded
- 1 ( 8 oz.) container of Mozzarella balls ( or fresh mozzarella/buffalo mozzarella, torn into bite size pieces)
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp honey
- 6 slices of prosciutto, torn into bite size pieces
- Use a melon baller to scoop melon balls from the cantaloupe and honeydew, placing melon balls in a large mixing bowl. Add Mozzarella balls and sliced mint. Sprinkle with course ground salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Drizzle over the melon and toss gently to coat.
- Plate salad and add torn prosciutto. Garnish with additional mint leaves.