Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce + Spinach- Super Easy! Chicken thighs are smothered in a “to die for”creamy Sun Dried Tomato and Parmesan sauce and baked to golden brown perfection. It’s easy, it’s comforting, and it’s only about 330 calories per serving.
I’m adding this Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce + Spinach to my list of favorite quick and easy chicken dinners (just wait until you taste this sauce!). It’s joining other favorites like Skinny Orange Sesame Chicken, Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, and Tortilla Chip Taco Chicken… oh and Spinach + Goat Cheese Hasselback Chicken . You can never have too many easy chicken recipes right?
We are having a crazy snow day here in Seattle. It’s a bit of a novelty when we actually get snow that sticks. I haven’t quite figured this out,but when the snow starts falling (or the weather forecast says there is a high probability for snow) I become like a little kid again. Waking up in the middle of the night and peeking out the windows to see how much snow there is and praying for a “snow day”. Today I got my wish! So as soon as the sun was up…I was out of the house! Taking in all that fresh white beautiful snow!
This Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce + Spinach is perfect for days like today. It’s comforting, it’s easy and it’s REALLY tasty!
Only a few minutes of prep time needed to get this family friendly meal into the oven and baking up all piping hot and delicious. First, you’ll give the chicken a quick sear on each side in a skillet. If you truly want to make this a “one-pan” dinner you could use an oven proof skillet.
Once the chicken is seared you’ll use the same skillet to cook the spinach and prepare the sauce. Oh the S.A.U.C.E! It’s a combination of sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, a touch of cream, garlic, basil, paprika, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Oh my! Can I just put this sauce on everything? please?
Place the chicken and spinach in a 9 x 12 Pyrex or baking pan and smother with the sun-dried tomato sauce.
Bake for 25-30 mins.
Perfectly tender juicy chicken is now ready to be served. Absolutely DO! spoon any extra sauce in the pan over the chicken ! You don’t need to save this recipe just for snow days…it works year round. Now if you’ll excuse me…I’ve got a snowman to make
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs, bone-in, skin- on (trimmed) or skinless
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided (or olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- ⅓ cup half & half (or heavy cream)
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes (in oil, drained)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp paprika
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbsp butter (olive oil) over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin side down. Sear both sides until golden brown (about 2-3 min. per side) . Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. (Drain any residual liquid in pan if necessary).
- Return pan to stove and melt 1 Tbsp butter. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally until spinach beings to wilt (about 2-3 min.) Remove spinach from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to stove, add garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring frequently until fragrant (about 1-2 min.). Stir in Chicken broth, half & half, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil and paprika. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until sauce has slightly thickened (about 3-4 min.). Remove pan from heat.
- Place chicken and spinach in a 9 x 12 Pyrex pan or baking dish or your choice. Pour sun dried tomato sauce over chicken. Place in the oven and roast until chicken is completely cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165F) about 25-30 mins.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil, if desired.