Skinny Orange Sesame Chicken- This classic Asian dish gets a healthy makeover. All of the sweet orange chili glazed goodness with just a fraction of the calories. Ready in less than 30 minutes. (Vegetarian option with tofu listed in recipe details). Skip the take-out, make it at home! it’s so easy and much healthier!
Let’s face it, places like Panda Express have people lining up for Orange Chicken for a reason. Crispy chicken bites smothered in a sweet tangy orange sauce, with a subtle (or not so subtle) chili kick is really very tempting. This lightened up version substitutes sautéed chicken for the traditional fried chicken, and keeps all the sweet tangy orange goodness. You’re family and friends will be lining up at your dining table for this healthy fast and flavorful meal.
How to Make Healthy Orange Sesame Chicken:
1 ) Start by sauteing the chicken in a little olive oil until slightly browned.
2) Whisk together the sauce ingredients ( orange juice, honey, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, corn starch, orange zest, red pepper flakes and sesame oil).
3) Add the sauce to the pan with the chicken, bring to a boil and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
4) Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions.Serve over white or brown rice, or if you want an even lighter version serve in lettuce cups.
It really is that easy! In less than 30 minutes you can have this healthy version of Orange Sesame Chicken on the dinner table, and your family begging for seconds.
Pair Skinny Orange Sesame Chicken with Sesame Bok Choy for a complete meal ( in 30 min.)
Skinny Orange Sesame Chicken
- 1 ¼ lbs. skinless chicken breast approx.3-4 medium chicken breasts (for vegetarian option substitute 1 14oz. package of extra firm tofu- cut into cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon orange zest optional
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sriracha to taste- if you like things spicier
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- sliced green onion for garnish
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice optional to keep things lighter use cauliflower rice or lettuce cups)
- Cut chicken breasts (or tofu) into 1 inch pieces, season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large saute or fry pan over medium- high heat. Add chicken (or tofu) and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken( or tofu) is browned on the outside and nearly cooked. ( don't over cook, chicken will cook for a few additional minutes with the sauce).
- While chicken(or tofu) is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey, ketchup, rice vinegar, corn starch, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, orange zest and red pepper flakes.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the chicken (or tofu). Let sauce come to a boil and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 min. until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and serve immediately over white or brown rice.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onion.