Sesame Bok Choy- A super easy recipe for a healthy side dish that tastes like something you’d find in a fancy restaurant… no fancy tools or ingredients needed. Ready in about 10 min. Sesame Bok Choy pairs up nicely with Asian inspired dishes, especially those with noodles, pork, or chicken. Would also be great served with steamed halibut, seared tuna or teriyaki salmon.
Why is Bok Choy a healthy side dish? Did you know bok choy is so low in calories (9 calories per 1 cup (70g)) that it has even been called a “negative calorie” food.? Meaning the calorie content is lower than the energy (calories)it takes your body to digest them.
While there is some debate over the whole “negative calorie” concept…one thing remains true …bok choy is certainly a good way to fill up and fuel up without adding a lot of calories to your diet. Hello…one serving of this healthy side dish has only about 30 calories!
Bok choy is packed with anti-oxidants (shown to help protect against breast, colon, and prostate cancers) and is an excellent source of Vitamins A, B, C & K. So hello! Super low in calories, loaded with good nutrition, and especially tasty when prepared with a drizzle of sesame oil, a pinch of red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Bok Choy you are my new best friend!
While this is a post for a Bok Choy recipe…I’m guessing after you make this once, it’s going to become a new go-to healthy side dish…you wont even need a recipe..it’s that easy!
Pair with Skinny Orange Chicken for a Simple Healthy meal in under 30 min. ( for Vegetarian option, sub Tofu for Chicken- details included in recipe )
Get the recipe for Skinny Orange Chicken here
Sesame Bok Choy
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger grated
- 3 heads baby bok choy trimmed and cut on the diagonal
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- pinch of red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- sesame oil- for dizzling optional
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat add oil to pan and heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant (approx. 1-2 min.) Add bok choy and cook until bok choy starts to wilt (approx. 3-5 min.).
- Transfer bok choy to a serving dish. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and if desired a light drizzle of sesame oil. Serve warm.
** adapted from Weight Watchers (Stir Fried Bok Choy)