Skillet Mexican Street Corn is loaded with flavor! Sweet summer corn is delicious all on its own but when you char it in a skillet and add a bit of mayo, green onion, jalapeno (optional) cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese and chili powder..Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!
Serve as a side dish, a dip (hello..tortilla chips please!) or top chicken, fish, shrimp, or tacos
I’m using in-season sweet summer corn on the cob for this dish. But don’t worry! if corn is not in season you can absolutely substitute either frozen or canned corn.
Remove the corn from the husks and cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.
This next part requires a bit of discipline, well at least it did for me! I’m a ” stirrer”. I’m not sure I’ve ever called myself that before…but it’s true! Whenever I put food in a pan it’s an automatic reaction to stir..and stir..and stir so nothing burns. But the secret to great Skillet Mexican Street Corn is to get the corn a little charred. To do that you have to just sit back and let the corn do it’s thing, NO STIRRING! After about 2-3 min. of cooking, the kernels should be getting a nice little char, then you can give them a stir and wait another 2-3 min. before stirring again. Repeat one more time. (Cooking time is about 8-10 min. in total)
I love how the corn turns such a vibrant shade of yellow when you cook it!
Mix in the mayo, green onions, chili powder, jalapeno (if using), cilantro and cotija cheese.
Serve as a side dish….
or a rustic salsa/dip…perfect for scooping onto a tortilla chip!
Skillet Mexican Street Corn also makes a great topping for chicken, fish, shrimp or tacos. Add some chopped lettuce and make a corn salad, so many options!
- 6 ears fresh corn, husks removed and kernels cut off cob (about 4-5 cups) *
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and stemmed, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- juice of one medium lime
- 2 ounces cotija cheese (or queso fresco, or feta)
- 1 tsp chili powder (more or less to taste)
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add corn and cook without stirring until corn begins to char (about 2-3 minutes). Toss corn and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes (without stirring). Give the corn one final toss and repeat cooking for additional 2-3 minutes until corn is charred on all sides. Turn off heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Add salt to taste. Serve immediately.