Easy one pot meal, ready in 20 min. This “Clean Eating” version of African Peanut Soup is healthy and hearty. Creamy peanut butter, warming spices (like cumin and coriander) and superfoods sweet potato, tomatoes and Swiss chard (or kale) will warm you up and keep you full on a chilly fall/winter day. Vegetarian or add chicken for additional protein.
Nothing beats the winter chill like a steaming bowl of soup. What could possibly be better? Well, how about if that bowl of soup is also :
a) REALLY HEALTHY (this Clean Eating version of African Peanut soup contains superfoods like sweet potatoes and Swiss chard and contains only about 200 calories per 2 cup serving)
b) REALLY HEARTY (creamy peanut butter, warming spices (like cumin and coriander), and hearty chunks of sweet potato and tomato will help keep you full for hours)
c) RIDICULOUSLY EASY TO MAKE ( make it in one pot and have it on the table in less than 20 min start to finish)
d) VEGETARIAN (with options to add additional proteins, like chicken )
African Peanut and Sweet Potato soup…the perfect antidote to chilly winter days!
This hearty and vegetarian recipe for African Peanut Soup has become one of my favorites! I like to make a big batch on the weekends and have a healthy go-to option for weekday lunches. It also makes a great snack. Just heat up a cup of soup (approx. 100 cal. for 1 cup) and you’ve got a nutritious snack. Filling…so you’ll be less tempted to dive head first into that plate of holiday cookies.
African Peanut and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 4 cups diced tomatoes canned or boxed with juices
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cups finely chopped Swiss chard or Kale
- roasted peanuts for garnishing (optional)
- whole-grain croutons for garnishing optional
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger and stir frequently until the onions are softened (approx. 3 min.).
- Add 1 cup of water, vegetable broth, tomatoes,sweet potatoes, peanut butter, cumin, coriander, salt, cayenne and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot. Let simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (approx. 12 min.)
- Add Swiss chard and continue simmering until chard has wilted (approx. 2 min.) Serve soup and garnish with whole-grain croutons if desired.