Baked Asparagus Fries + Creamy Parmesan Dipping Sauce- a healthy alternative to traditional French fries. Crunchy Panko crusted spears of asparagus with a hint of spice (thanks to red pepper flakes and chili powder-optional) served with a creamy Parmesan dipping sauce. Perfect as an appetizer, snack or side dish.
Hello Asparagus! I’m so glad you’re back! (and Spring too!)
Not only are these tiny green spears delicious and versatile they are REALLY good for you!
Here’s a few of the benefits of asparagus:
- Asparagus is packed with antioxidants helping to neutralize cell damaging free-radicals which may help to protect the skin against damaging sun rays ,may help slow the aging process and may help protect against certain types of cancer (like breast, bone and lung).
- High in fiber and rich in nutrients such as Vitamins A, C, E and K, folate and chromium, which have been shown to help with such things as fighting cognitive decline, regulating blood sugar levels and boosting immunity.
- Asparagus also contains a number of anti-inflammatory compounds which may help protect against type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
All of that goodness packed into these little spears! So now that you know just how good asparagus is for you…it’s time to get to making these Baked Asparagus Fries!
How to Make Asparagus Fries:
They are REALLY easy! similar to other panko crusted foods ( like Panko Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce) you’ll dredge the asparagus in flour, followed by a dip in an egg bath and finish by rolling the asparagus spear in the panko mixture and pressing firmly so the panko adheres to the asparagus. Pop them in the oven for about 10 mins. and that’s it! You have a tasty , healthy snack, appetizer or side dish.
Serve Asparagus Fries with:
These would also be great served alongside your favorite brunch items …like a tasty omelette, or Scrambled Eggs with Goat Cheese and Chives, or how about an Easy Breakfast Casserole with Ham & Cheese.
Love Asparagus? Here are 21 more recipe ideas to enjoy fresh asparagus.
Find the recipes in this round-up 21 amazing Asparagus Recipes
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup Panko
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp chili powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Line up three shallow bowls( long enough to fit asparagus). Place flour in first bowl. Place beaten eggs in second bowl. Combine Panko, Parmesan, red pepper flakes, chili powder and salt and pepper in the third bowl.
- Dredge each piece of asparagus in the flour, follow by dipping in egg, and finish up by dredging in the Panko mixture (pressing to coat). Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with additional spears. Place in oven and cook until asparagus is tender and crispy brown (approx. 8-12 min.)
- While asparagus in cooking, prepare dipping sauce by combining sour cream, Parmesan cheese and chives in a small bowl.
- Asparagus best served immediately after removing from oven.