Looking for a healthier potato salad? No mayo required here. Spice up your back yard BBQ, with this smokey chipotle mix of sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, roasted red peppers and cilantro. Can be served chilled, room temperature, or even hot. A perfect complement to so many of your summertime BBQ favorites.
Start by cutting the sweet potatoes into bite size one inch cubes. The secret to this dish in my opinion is the spices. Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle is the BOMB! (i'm not affiliated, I just happen to really love this product) Mrs. Dash's products are salt free and they use all natural blends of herbs and spices. This southwest chipotle is a smokin' blend of red peppers, cayenne pepper and chipotle chili peppers combined with onion, roasted garlic and lime juice. It gives this sweet potato salad a real kick! It's easy to find here in the USA at your local grocery store. It's also available on Amazon.com. Worth sourcing out! you can use it on so many things. (But, feel free to substitute your favorite chipotle blend or create your own as well)
Coat the sweet potatoes with olive oil and spices and cook over medium heat until just turning brown. Add brown sugar for the final few minutes of cooking to give the potatoes their sweet, smokey, spicy flavor.
Add the black beans, corn, roasted red peppers and chopped cilantro.
This salad can be served chilled, room temperature, or even hot.
The chipotle flavor of this salad make it a great compliment to any of your BBQ favorites. It's also a great stand alone light meal option. Get creative...I've even had it on top of a piece of toasted artisan bread as an open face sandwich (yum yum!).
Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle seasoning or your favorite chipotle blend
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar reserved
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans rinsed & drained
- ½ cup roasted red pepper diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- Add cut sweet potatoes, Mrs. Dash seasoning, and olive oil to a large zip-lock plastic bag. Shake to coat thoroughly. (or mix all ingredients in a large bowl)
- Heat a large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add potato mixture and cook stirring frequently. When potatoes just start to brown,(approx. 15 min.) add brown sugar (adding earlier will cause the potatoes to burn quickly) . Cook until golden brown and tender . Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine corn, black beans, cilantro and cooled sweet potatoes. Mix thoroughly, you may wish to add a drizzle of olive oil if necessary.
Salad can be served room temperature, chilled or hot. Garnish with additional cilantro or a little dollop of sour cream.