It’s One Pot Wednesday..today’s easy, one-pot meal idea : Creamy Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup.
This soup is a bit like an optical illusion. Where you see something one way, but in reality it is something different. In this case, the soup is SO creamy you would swear it has to have cream, and a lot of it! When in fact there is no cream at all ! The magic happens when you puree the cooked cauliflower and sprinkle in some cheddar cheese. Yum Yum GOOD!
You’ll start by cooking some chopped onions in a tad of butter in a large soup pan. I’d normally say skip the butter and substitute some olive oil, but I think in this case it just helps the overall flavor of the soup. Just sayin’ …everything in moderation, right? (Oh course, if you’re so inclined ..by all means substitute for olive oil, or whatever you wish. It’s still going to be out of this world GOOD!).
After the onions are cooked you’re going to add the garlic and the cauliflower, and cook for about 10 min. until the cauliflower gets soft (and a bit translucent). Add in the vegetable broth and a cup of milk and let the cauliflower cook for about 30 min.
To keep this recipe to a true one-pot…you’ll need an immersion blender to puree the cauliflower in the same pot until it’s smooth. No worries if you don’t have one, you can always use a blender or a food processor, you’ll just want to process the cauliflower in batches.
This soup has become my “go-to” when I want something filling and delicious, but don’t want a lot of calories (1 serving has about 150 cal.) . I’ve been making a big pot of it on the weekend and having it though out the week. For that reason I decided an immersion blender would be a nice addition to my ever growing kitchen gadget collection. ( see, I can rationalize any gadget purchase ..hee hee) I got this one…the Cuisinart Immersion Blender in the brushed chrome color. It wasn’t until after I had already ordered it that I discovered it comes in a ton of colors. Even a color called “pink champagne” which is exactly what it looks like…all bubbly and classy with a hint of pink…dang! (disclosure- both of those links are affiliate links and will take you to Amazon to check out Cuisinart Immersion Blenders in many colors).
The final step is adding in the cheddar cheese and letting it melt and get all fabulous. Top with croutons (or crackers), a sprinkle of shredded cheddar and some chopped chives. Serve with some crusty artisan bread, or along side a green salad, or a grilled cheese sandwich.
I’m thinking to add a little curry to my next batch just to shake things up..because I’m a rebel like that!
Creamy Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated ( about 1 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft (approx 6-8 min.). Add the garlic and cauliflower pieces and stir occasionally, until cauliflower begins to soften and turn translucent (approx. 10 min. ).
- Add vegetable broth and milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat and continue to cook for approx.. 30 min. until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Turn off the heat and let soup cool slightly. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot until it is smooth ( If you do not have an immersion blender you can also puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor).
- Turn on the heat to medium-low and sprinkle in cheese. Stir until the cheese is thoroughly melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with croutons or crackers, a little extra shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped chives.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of artisan bread for a lite but filling meal.