Curried Chickpea and Kale Soup- This is probably one of the easiest soups you’ll ever make! Literally everything goes into the blender, you whiz it around for a minute until everything is pureed, and then pour it in a pot let it simmer for about 10 min. That’s it! That’s all! Voila, you have a healthy dinner, lunch, or snack.
The blended chickpeas help to make this soup extra creamy and rich (without any cream) . Chickpeas (aka Garbanzo beans) are packed with fiber, protein, magnesium, potassium and iron. All of that is good for your heart and digestive system. If that wasn’t enough, this soup also has superfood Kale which is high in iron, vitamins A, C & K, and contains powerful antioxidants. Kale also has anti-inflammatory properties.
The nutritional value of Kale is off the charts! But, unfortunately I find it to be a little bitter sometimes. I like to combine it with foods that help to soften that bitterness, like in the recipe for Curried Chickpea and Kale soup. The creaminess of the chickpeas, slight sweetness of the coconut milk, and spiciness of the curry do just that. The outcome is a hearty, heart healthy flavorful meal. Chickpeas + Kale = creamy flavorful curried soup for the win!
Serve with toasted pita or warm bread for a light but filling meal.
** recipe inspired by Coconut Chickpea soup in Clean Eating Magazine Fall 2014 Dinner in 30 - I cant find a link to the exact recipe, but here's a link to Clean Eating magazine
Curried Chickpea and Kale Soup
- 2 cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves tough stems removed and torn into pieces ( I prefer the curly variety of kale for the recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ¾ cups coconut milk lite or low-fat ( Thai coconut milk in the can)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave for Vegan option
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until completely smooth.
- Pour soup into a medium pot and heat on medium-high. Allow soup to simmer for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Top with fresh cracked pepper.