Healthy Sloppy Joes- This American classic gets a healthy tweak. All the savory beef and tomato goodness you love, with a nutritional boost from the addition of healthy beans and vegetables. A perfect easy dinner recipe. Only one skillet needed, ready in 20 mins.
Don’t know what to make for dinner tonight? You’ll just need a big skillet, a few simple ingredients and about 15 min. to whip up todays” One Pot Wednesday “meal - Healthy Sloppy Joe's
I came across this recipe in an old issue of Clean Eating Magazine and tinkered with it just a bit. I love sloppy joes, but I never think about actually making sloppy joes. So, when I saw this healthy version, I knew it was going straight to the top of the “must make” list. I’m not disappointed! And it was SO easy to make!
Just brown the lean ground beef, stir in the garlic, spinach and carrots and let cook until the spinach begins to wilt.
Add the remaining ingredients (beans, tomatoes, green onion, mustard, vinegar, ketchup and maple syrup) and let simmer for about 8-10 min. until the ingredients are fully cooked and they have formed a nice saucy consistency.
Spoon the mixture on toasted whole wheat, or seeded buns and serve right away. Warning: They’re called SLOPPY Joes for a reason! So much goodness packed on top of one bun…you just might need a knife and fork. Or not!
Time to get this healthified version of the classic Sloppy Joe back into your dinner rotation.
Healthy Sloppy Joes
- ½ lb. lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot peeled and shredded
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup canned navy beans or garbanzo
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned or fresh
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 4 whole wheat or seeded hamburger buns
- In a large sauté pan (with lid) cook ground beef on medium-high until browned. If necessary, drain any fat from pan. Add garlic and stir to combine.
- Add carrots and spinach to ground beef and stir until the spinach begins to wilt (approx. 1-2 min.). Add remaining ingredients (beans, tomatoes, green onion, mustard, vinegar, ketchup and maple syrup). Reduce heat to medium and cover the pan. Allow mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until completely cooked (approx. 8-10 min.)
- Toast the buns (if desired) and spoon mixture onto buns.