Looking for an easy one pot dinner option? This Thai inspired meal is so easy to prepare and comes together in about 15 min.
Enjoy warm spicy peanut noodles (subtly flavored with lemongrass and coconut milk) and fresh crisp veggies. Delicious served warm or cold..hint hint..put any leftovers in portable containers and you’ve got lunch already prepared for work or school tomorrow. Smile…because that just means you saved a few minutes of morning prep time and can hit the snooze button one extra time and still be on time.
One pot meal options make life so much easier. No messy clean-up and a fast healthy meal on the table in no time. Don’t let the list of ingredients for this recipe scare you. Nothing is complicated and most of the ingredients are spices needed to give this dish its rockstar Thai inspired flavor. You can have this meal on the table in about 15 min. start to finish.
Start by combining the broth, coconut milk, garlic, green onion, tamarind paste, fish sauce, red pepper flakes, ginger, peanut butter, kaffir lime leaves and the lemongrass stalk (you’ll be removing the kaffir leaves and the lemongrass prior to serving). Cover and bring to a boil.
Once the broth is boiling add the linguine. The key to this dish is not to over cook the pasta. Most linguine takes 9 minutes to cook and you’ll want to make sure you don’t exceed this time. A slightly al dente noodle is perfect!
While the noodles are cooking chop the veggies (bell peppers, carrot, cabbage and cilantro).
I like the veggies to remain slightly crispy so I add the veggies to the pot of noodles after 5 min.of cooking. This is completely up to you. If you like your veggies more cooked you can chop them first and add to the pot at the beginning of cooking. If you like your veggies really crispy you can even add them at the very end after the noodles are completely cooked (9 min) right before serving.
Remove the lemongrass stalk and lime leaves. Squeeze the juice of ½ lime over the noodles and top with peanuts & cilantro.
Don’t forget to pack any leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch!
One Pot Spicy Peanut Noodles with Veggies
- 12 oz. linguine
- 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk lite
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth reduced sodium (for vegetarian option use vegetable broth)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind paste * optional
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce for vegetarian option use soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you like things spicy
- 4 inch piece of lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves or 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro chopped
- Peanuts for topping
- ½ lime to squeeze over finished pasta
- sriracha sauce optional
- In a large pot or a Dutch oven add coconut milk, chicken broth (or vegetable broth), garlic, green onion, tamarind paste , fish sauce (or soy sauce), red pepper flakes, ginger, peanut butter, Kaffir lime leaves (or lime zest) and lemongrass stalk ( cut off the very bottom of the stalk and use a 4 inch piece – you will be removing the stalk prior to serving). Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add linguine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 5 min.
- While pasta is cooking, thinly slice red and yellow bell peppers. Chop purple cabbage. Cut carrot into matchsticks or julienne. Chop cilantro.
- After pasta has simmered for the first 5 min, add sliced peppers, purple cabbage, and carrot (Reserve cilantro for serving). Continue to simmer for an additional 4 min. Remove lemongrass stalk and kaffir lime leaves and serve. Squeeze the juice of ½ lime on noodles and top with chopped cilantro, and peanuts. If you like spicy...add a squeeze of sriracha sauce.