Contrary to popular belief…”gluten-free” does not mean “will taste less amazing” . In my opinion..this gluten-free version of Strawberry Shortcake is even more flavorful and delicious than it’s glutenous cousin.
I’m pretty convinced I have some food allergies or sesitivities and I’ve been playing around with determining what they are. Trying to rule out some of the major offenders…I’ve been eating gluten-free for the past couple of weeks.
My favorite local market ( think Whole Foods healthy organice but locally owned) had a display of these most perfect looking strawberries.
I brought the berries home because…well…they were just screaming…”Susan..PLEASE take us home”…not really sure what I was going to do with them. So many options. They had been displayed right next to some beautiful looking short cakes, and I was wondering if I could create a gluten free version of the short cake?
So now let me take stock of whats in the kitchen…i have strawberries…check…i have gluten-free Bisquick..check…I have whipping cream…check…butter/sugar/ eggs..check, check, check,…i have vanilla extract and milk…oh crap..no…but what can I substitute? oh I have vanilla flavor Almond milk..ok that will work..commense cooking..here’s my adapted, and really YUMMY version.
- 4 cups ( 1 qt) strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 2⅓ cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¾ cup Vanilla flavor Almond milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup whipping cream, whipped
- 12 whole almonds, crushed
- Preheat over to 425 F
- Mix cut strawberries with ¼ cup of sugar and set aside
- Combine Bisquick mix and the remaining ¼ cup sugar, cut in butter with a fork
- Add the Almond milk and eggs and stir until all ingredients are mixed in.
- (dont worry if the butter is not completly mixed- the little pockets of butter in the shortcakes taste fantastic!)
- Grease a cookie sheet and drop 6 spoonfuls of mix onto the pan (each will be approx. the size of a small apple)
- Bake 10-12 min. or until the tops of shortcakes are turning golden brown
- Let the shortcakes cool for approx. 5 mins. and them slice in half with a serrated knife; layer strawberries and top with whipped cream and chopped Almonds