Is Rhubarb making a comeback? Was it ever an "it" vegetable? ( yes, it is actually a vegetable, rich in fiber and Vitamin C. Rhubarb is a close cousin of garden sorrel).
It seems like Rhubarb is being showcased in every grocery store I've been in lately. It's such a beautiful ruby color! This is usually what happens to me...I find some really amazing looking fruit or vegetable and then I try to figure out what to make with it.
Rhubarb is a little bitter all on it's own, so this pairing of sweet strawberries, and the spiciness of cardamom (a key spice used in making chai ( oh I do love chai tea!) team up well.
Voila! Healthy fruits and vegetables packed into one easy to eat treat. Store in an airtight container. Or, you can freeze in individual ziplock bags, for one of those mornings where you need to dash out the door. Zap the muffin in the microwave and slather on a little butter or marscapone cheese and you've got a delish morning treat.
Rhubarb & Strawberry Cardamom Muffins
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cardamom divided
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup vanilla flavor almond milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced fresh rhubarb
- 1 ½ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar (regular sugar), and 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom in a bowl. Let stand for approx. 15 min until the rhubarb release some juice.
- In a small bowl, beat together the brown sugar, vanilla almond milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, and the one egg.
- In a large bowl mix together whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and remaining cardamom.
- Add chopped strawberries and the rhubarb mixture to the flour mixture. (coating the fruit with the flour mixture helps to keep the fruit from all sinking to the bottom of the muffins). Add the brown sugar mixture to the flour mixture and combine all ingredients.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until muffins are springy to the touch, approx. 20-25 min.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 min. before removing them.
Serve warm just as is or with a little butter or cream cheese spread.
Leave a Reply