Whoever invented the idea of sheet pan dinners is a genius! Talk about easy! Toss everything on a sheet pan and pop it into the oven , in about 30 min. you have a full meal featuring chipotle chicken and veggies ready to be served. Bonus: No messy pots and pans to clean.
This is one of those dinners you make when “OMG!, I have zero time and I still have to come up with something for dinner” or maybe “ Oh no, impromptu dinner guests, I can’t serve them the left-overs we were going to have tonight”.
Sheet pan dinners are so versatile and the combination of things you can put together is endless. The results are truly company worthy.
To accompany the chipotle chicken I’m using produce that is in season now, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, apples, shallots and adding a bit of bacon because well…why not? It adds a certain smoky goodness and if you cut it up into thin pieces it can cook right along with everything else on the sheet pan. I thought spicing the chicken with some maple syrup and chipotle would pair nicely with all the fall produce. And YUM! wait until you taste the smoky, slightly sweet, spicy goodness that emerges from the oven.
The secret to sheet pan dinners is selecting things that take about the same amount of time to cook and cutting up the veggies into relatively equal size pieces. Oh course you can always add ingredients part way through the cooking process if you do have things that cook faster than the rest of the meal.
It will probably take about 10-15 min. to prep the veggies, but you can do that ahead of time if you wish. The Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, red potato and shallots could be done the night before, but I’d cut the apple up just before putting everything together. For an even faster prep time check your local grocery store to see what they may have pre-cut. My local grocery store currently has Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, fingerling potatoes (you could sub for the red potato) and lots of other things already cut up.
No worries about "What's for dinner?" tonight...Sheet -pan Chipotle chicken and veggies! ...gotcha covered.
Sheet-Pan Maple Chipotle Chicken with Veggies, Potatoes and Bacon
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts cleaned and cut in halves
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 medium red potato cubed
- 1 small apple cut into slices (honey crisp, fuji, or granny smith)
- 1 small shallot cut into slices
- 2 slices of bacon cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle or southwest spice blend - like Mrs. Dash
- pinch of brown sugar
- 6-8 pieces of chicken thighs or legs, skin-on (approx. 3- 3/12 lbs.)
- salt and pepper
- fresh rosemary for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a sheet-pan with non-stick spray (or line with foil).
- In a gallon size ziplock bag (or medium bowl) add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, red potato, apple, shallots and drizzle with olive oil to lightly coat. Spread in a even layer on sheet-pan. Add bacon pieces. Salt and pepper to taste Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix maple syrup, olive oil, chipotle, and brown sugar together.
- Wash and pat the chicken dry. Rub maple syrup mixture over each piece of chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Place on top of the vegetable mixture on sheet-pan.
- Place in oven and roast until chicken and veggies are golden brown, approx. 30 min. (chicken should register 165F on thermometer in center).
- Sprinkle with fresh rosemary and serve.