"Stuffing " Biscuits- Copycat Cheddar Bay biscuits with a twist…an infusion of herbs and spices that typically go into making stuffing…so they taste just like stuffing! and they are perfect for serving with your Holiday meals and also perfect for stuffing full of leftover Thanksgiving turkey ! ( or your favorite veggie Thanksgiving goodies or sandwich fixins) Low-fat , easy to make and ready in 10 min.
I’ve been a little obsessed with Cheddar bay biscuits (or I should say the low-fat copycat version) lately. After I stuffed them with breakfast goodies in The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich I had a few extra biscuits to figure out what to do with. Right out of the oven (or reheated in aluminum foil) they are so flakey and soft and buttery tasting I couldn’t help but think how great they would be to stuff full of Thanksgiving leftovers.
Truth be told, I almost like the post T-day feast sandwiches (stuffed with turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans…the works!) more than the actual celebration dinner. I love making little mini sandwiches and piling them high with all the thanksgiving leftovers. My post T-day sandwiches have two hard and fast rules 1) they have to be made on soft soft bread 2) they have to have stuffing! But there is always a problem…there is WAY more turkey than stuffing.
And then an idea popped into my head. What if I could make these cheddar bay biscuits taste like stuffing? How cool would that be! I’d solve the ratio of turkey to stuffing issue, but also it would mean it would be possible to have the delicious tastes of Thanksgiving any time of the year. BONUS! (Hello, that means easy, tasty sandwiches to take to work or school)
Turns out…by adding the flavors commonly used in stuffing, like sage, celery, onion, and thyme…it is in fact possible to have a “Stuffing” biscuit! Heaven! I’m in Heaven! (and oh darn if I had to try a few biscuits along the way to getting the herbs/spices perfected) .
Another bonus…these biscuits are so easy to make ! you can literally have piping hot ,out of the oven, biscuits in less than 10 min.
What will you “stuff” yours with?
Here’s a few ideas ..in addition to the Thanksgiving leftovers of course!
Try stuffing them with:
1. Sliced Apples and Cheddar Cheese
2. Rotissieri Chicken, Lettuce and Tomato
3. Artichoke hearts, Arugula, Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
4. Brie, Prosciutto, Arugula, and Caramelized Onions
5. Black Bean Veggie Patty and Fresh Spinach
6. Cooked Sweet Potato Slices and Kale
7. Mini turkey burgers and melted cheese ( the kiddos should love this one!)
- 2 cups Bisquick reduced fat (called "heart smart"- avail in the baking aisle of most grocery stores)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk low fat
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded (more or less to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- pinch of onion powder
- 2 tablespoon butter
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminum foil)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Bisquick, milk, cheese, sage, thyme, celery seed and onion powder ,use hands to mix thoroughly.
- Divide dough and form into six balls. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until tops turn golden brown (approx 7-9 min.) Remove from oven and let cool to touch.
- In a small microwave safe bowl or mug, microwave butter, garlic and salt until butter becomes liquid (approx. 10 sec.). Brush the tops of the biscuits with butter mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.