Sausage Zoodle Pizza Bake- Piping hot pizza slices loaded with sausage, cheese, bell peppers, mushrooms and olives. All the things you love about pizza but with one big difference, this version is low-carb! Zoodles (zucchini noodles) form the crust of this healthy pizza option and coming in at just about 200 calories a slice you can indulge guilt-free!
If you’ve been following SHK for a bit then you know I’m a huge fan of zoodles (zucchini noodles). They are such a great pasta alternative (a couple of my favorites: zucchini noodles + avocado pesto or zucchini noodles with heirloom tomatoes and feta) if you are looking to keep things low-carb or keep the calorie count a bit lower. Turns out zoodles are also a great low-carb alternative to traditional pizza crust. And super simple to make!
Using a spiralizer or a julienne peeler you can whip up a batch of zoodles in about 2 minutes. While you are cooking up the sausage and cutting up the veggies to top the pizza, I recommend giving the zucchini noodles a liberal dash of salt and letting them sit for a about 15 min in a colander. The zucchini will release any extra water ensuring no soggy pizza crusts.
Mix the zucchini noodles with the egg, cheeses ( Parmesan and Mozzarella) a bit of flour and cornmeal.
Spread in the bottom of a 9″ pie pan and bake for about 15 minutes until the zucchini crust has set.
Top the zoodle crust with pizza sauce (or Marinara) and all the toppings! I’m using sausage, mushrooms, olives, bell peppers and cheese (onions too if you want). Feel free to sub/add any of your favorite toppings.
Bake for an additional 15-20 min until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Let the pizza set for a few minutes and then cut into slices. The crust if firm enough you can pick up a slice and eat it just like regular pizza. Low-carb healthy pizza deliciousness!
Sausage Zoodle Pizza Bake
- 3-4 large zucchini about 2 lbs.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- ½ cup pizza sauce 4 oz. (or marinara)
- 3 oz. mild Italian sausage approx. 1 5" link casing removed
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms white or cremini
- ½ bell pepper cut into stripes (any color bell pepper)
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- fresh chopped basil for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat a 9 inch pie pan ( or a 2 qt baking dish) with cooking spray. Use a vegetable spiralizer or julienne pepper to cut zucchini into long thin noodles/*
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt, tossing to incorporate the salt. Let zucchini stand for 15-20 min. in colander (to release water).
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large fry pan. set aside.
- Once zucchini has rested for 15 min., use paper towels or tea towel to gently dry and release any additional water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, flour, and cornmeal. Add zucchini noodles and stir to incorporate. Transfer to prepared pie pan. Bake for approx. 15 mins. until set and no excess liquid remains.
- Remove from oven and spread with pizza sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese, sausage, mushrooms, bell pepper and olives. Bake 15-20 mins more until cheese is melted, bubbly and turning light brown. Remove from oven, let rest for 2-3 mins and serve. Garnish with fresh chopped basil if desired.