Sun…White sand beach…Crashing waves…A lounge chair…A good book..& a pool with a swim-up bar. That’s what I’ve been dreaming of the last few days. Probably because I recently cut out a beautiful picture of lounge chairs overlooking the ocean, with a gorgeous infinity pool in the background. This picture now lives on my refrigerator, to remind me that sun and warm days are not that far off. I’m trying to figure out if I can sneak away to Cabo for a few days for my birthday.
So here I am, looking in the pantry wondering what to do with the leftover purple potatoes ( from Pan Seared Halibut with Fresh Seasonal Vegetables) and looking at that photo of the lounge chairs, thinking about Cabo, when a little light bulb goes off in my head. Let’s make yummy Mexican inspired breakfast tostadas!
Crisp corn tortillas, smokey bacon, and purple potato hash all topped with a fried egg. Yum!
Viva Mexico! I hope I will visit your beautiful white sand beaches soon!
Breakfast Tostadas with Purple Potato Hash and Bacon
- 2 eggs
- 2 corn tortillas
- ½ cup fat-free refried beans
- 10 small purple potatoes or 2 medium
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cilantro finely chopped
- olive oil for brushing tortillas
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400F. Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cook for approx. 10-12 min, flipping once midway,until crisp and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Purple Potato Hash
- In a medium size pot, add water and salt and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender approx. 5 min. Drain and set potatoes aside until cool. Slice in quarters
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove from the skillet and place onto a paper-towel-lined-plate. Drain bacon fat, retaining just a small amount in the pan for flavor. Add potatoes and diced red bell peppers, toss to coat. Add chopped green onions and spices ( cumin & chili powder). Heat for a couple of minutes to mix flavors.
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until set as desired. For over easy eggs or over medium you will need to flip the eggs over.
- Layer tostadas with warmed refied beans, purple potato hash, 2 strips bacon each, and top with fried egg and sprinkle of chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.