Alright…I’m busted! I have to admit, the first time I made these overnight oats I found myself peeking at them periodically. I’m not sure what I thought I’d find. When a few of your favorite things i.e….oats, almond milk, greek yogurt, a touch of almond butter, and a splash of maple syrup are all waiting, and melding, and becoming creamy goodness for the next morning, it’s hard not to check in and see how they are doing.
They were just so tempting sitting there in the fridge, right next to the bowl of perfect little sweet blueberries. I really wanted to sneak a little taste ( o.k…i might have had just ONE teeny tiny taste !oops!) It was enough to know that I was REALLY looking forward to the morning.
The beauty of overnight oats, is that you do the prep work the night before…which is really easy and takes only a few minutes. There are so many options and combinations of ingredients you can include…it’s easy to make something different everyday or something different for every family member. Besides their nutritional powerhouse status, oats help lower cholesteral, provide fiber, and keep you full until lunch.
Easy to make + nutritious+ grab and run out the door when you realize yet again you forgot to have breakfast ( read..everyday in my world) = “go- to” breakfast option!
Here’s one of my favorite combinations :
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ⅔ cup vanilla almond milk ( or milk of your choice)
- ½ cup greek vanilla yogurt (one small 6 oz yogurt)
- 1 tsp almond butter
- splash of maple syrup or honey
- chopped almonds/pecans, brown sugar for topping
- Stir almond butter and splash of maple syrup into greek yogurt, set aside.
- In a glass mason jar, or container of your choice, layer the ingredients in this order; oats, almond mik, greek yogurt mixture. ( It's best not to stir, but dont worry if you accidentally do, it all comes out delicious!)
- Refrigerate overnight ( at least 8 hours).
- In the morning, stir the oats and top with fresh blueberries, chopped nuts (almonds/pecans) and a sprinkle of brown sugar if desired.