Sometimes it’s all about the presentation…just changing things up a bit can make something feel “new” and “special”. Case in point, today’s healthy breakfast banana split!
Healthy ingredients, like cottage cheese (or yogurt), fresh fruits and nuts that make up this banana split may already be part of your breakfast routine, but when you dress them up in a fun banana split bowl somehow, they just seem so decadent!
Preparing this banana split is so easy, even the kids can do it! You can use a special banana split bowl (mine came from Crate and Barrel) or any low shallow dish.
How to make a Healthy Breakfast Banana Split
1.) Cut a banana in half lengthwise and place in the dish.
2.) Add a layer of strawberries, blackberries or any of your favorite fruits between the banana slices. This helps to hold them up and forms the base of the banana split.
3.) Add a few scoops of cottage cheese (or your favorite yogurt) and top with fruit jelly (or even chocolate sauce if you like) granola and nuts.
It’s pretty hard to have a bad day when you start out with a fun ( and healthy) breakfast banana split!
Need more “dessert for breakfast” ideas? try these:
** adapted from Clean Eating Magazine’s Breakfast Banana Split
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 1% or fat free (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tbsp. all- fruit strawberry jam
- 8-10 strawberries, sliced
- 8-10 blackberries
- 1 teaspoon granola (or toasted oats)
- 1 teaspoon chopped nuts (like almonds, peanuts, or cashews)
- Peel 1 bananas and cut in half lengthwise. Place banana halves in a shallow bowl . Add a few berries to the bottom of the bowl, between banana slices. Top with cottage cheese and sprinkle with remaining berries, granola and chopped nuts. Repeat with remaining banana, to prepare second banana split. Serve immediately.