Ooey Gooey double chocolate brownie goodness for breakfast! and they are healthy!
I guess I’m on a dessert for breakfast kick. I just recently posted this Healthy Breakfast Banana Split recipe and it went bananas (see how I did that!) on Pinterest ! so I guess I’m not alone in loving something a little dessertish (is that a word?) and clean eating for breakfast.
It’s just so decadent waking up to foods that are usually reserved for dessert. The only difference is theseclean eatingg breakfast items actually pack some nutritional value. In the case of the banana split it’s bananas, berries, and cottage cheese (or yogurt) . In the case of these breakfast brownies it’s healthy oats, chia seeds, and cocoa powder, so you don’t even need to feel guilty about having dessert for breakfast! How awesome is that!
Bonus…these Breakfast Brownies are really easy to make! Healthy rolled oats provide the base of this recipe. I rough chopped them so they would be a slightly finer texture (you can also pop them in a blender and get them nice and smooth for a more traditional brownie texture, or leave them whole and have a heartier texture).
Healthy chia seeds give these brownies an extra nutritional punch. Chia’s are small but mighty! they are packed with fiber, Omega 3’s, and protein. (fiber and protein helps you feel full longer ).
You can top them with anything you like. I opted for toasted walnuts, coconut and more chocolate chips. You can even give them a drizzle of chocolate if you wish (add a few chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and cook for about 30 sec., stir and drizzle). The possibilities are endless (peanut butter chips, almonds, pecans, dried berries (like goji) . What will you top yours with?
Want more dessert for breakfast? More Clean Eating Breakfast recipes? Here’s another one to try:
Double Chocolate Breakfast Brownies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice0
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 egg *
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips divided
- chopped walnuts extra chocolate chips and/or shredded coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick spray (or grease with coconut oil)
- (optional step) Rough crop oats on cutting board with knife or place in a blender/food processor for 1 min. or until desired consistency.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine oats, flour, cocoa powder, salt. Stir in milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, chia seeds and egg, mixing thoroughly. Fold in 1/2 the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until knife or toothpick inserted in the center can be removed clean). Let cool.
- Top with chopped walnuts, shredded coconuts, and/or additional chocolate chips if desired.
* for Vegan option- omit egg and increase almond milk to 1 cup. Use vegan chocolate chips.