“Liver Purifier” Detox Juice- this tasty blend of beets, cucumber, carrot, celery, spinach, parsley and lemon is chock full of antioxidants and vitamins and is a great tonic to help rev up the body’s own natural detoxification process.
What does the liver do?
Did you know that your liver is the largest internal organ in your body? And that it is responsible for over 500 tasks to help keep your body healthy? It is also the only organ in your body that can regenerate itself. (Source: Medical News Today)
Some of the top functions of the liver are to:
- Help your immune system fight off infection
- Maintain consistent blood sugar levels
- Help metabolize proteins, fats and carbohydrates
- Convert the nutrients from the food you ingest into substances the body can use. The liver then stores these substances and supplies the body with them when needed. (it is so smart!)
- Help your cells flush out toxins
Why is beet juice good for the liver?
Beets have traditionally been used as a liver remedy because they activate liver enzymes and increase bile production which helps the liver’s detox function. (Source: Medical News Today)
Beetroot juice contains antioxidants, Vitamin C, potassium, folate and iron which help protect the liver from inflammation and oxidative stress and they help its ability to remove toxins from the body.
What vegetables are in the “Liver Purifier” Beet Detox Juice?
- Spinach (or Swiss Chard)
- Parsley (or Dandelion Greens)
- Lemon juice
While beets may be the star of the show in this liver detox juice the other vegetables add additional vitamins and minerals creating a potent nutrient dense juice blend that tastes amazing.
A random fact….Beets can make you happy!
It’s true! Did you know that beets contain betaine? Betaine is the same substance that is used in certain treatments of depression. Why? because betaine helps support serotonin production in the brain which helps elevate your mood. Not to mention the potent dose of folic acid in beets that helps to stabilize emotional and mental health. So there you go, beets are really nourishing for your immune system and they can make you happy! (Source: Eat this Not that!)
Looking for more healthy juice and smoothie recipes? You might also like:
“Insanely Good” Green Juice ( or Mocktail) – tastes like a green bloody mary!
"Liver Purifier " Beet Juice
- 1/2 beet
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large handful of spinach (or 2 stalks Swiss Chard)
- 1 handful of parsley (or Dandelion roots)
- 1/2 medium lemon (juice of)
- Put beet, cucumber, carrots, celery, spinach and parsley through a juicer according to manufacturers instructions.
- squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the beet juice and stir.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by the ‘Liver Purifier” juice at my favorite local juice shop jujubeet. (I’m not affiliated…I just love this place!)